The following step to step guide will make the process will guide you on the entire procedure. Let us proceed then. This PS3 Hack lets you Pirate PS3 games, Run Linux OS, Play PS1, PS2 Games on PS3.
KakaRoto has announced the details of the hack.
First CFW working. Grab http://bit.ly/hszcH3, then “./create_cfw.sh PS3UPDAT.355.PUP CFW.PUP”. Permanently adds “install pkg files” menu.
Folks at PS3hacks has detailed the process.
How to install Custom Firmware on PS3 for Pirated Games, OtherOS/Linux Support [PS3 Slim, Fat]
Download ps3 utilities and ps3 tools from github / team fail0verflow using these commands on your Linux PC:
git clone https://github.com/kakaroto/ps3utils.git
git clone git://git.fail0verflow.com/ps3tools.git
cp pkg unpkg ../ps3utils
- Grab the PS3 encryption/decryption/signing keys from github:
git clone https://github.com/kakaroto/ps3keys.git ~/.ps3
- Download PS3 3.55 (or whatever official firmware PUP) from here
- Extract and copy “PS3UPDAT.PUP” to the “ps3utils” directory
- Create the PS3 Custom Firmware (CFW) from the original/official update (OFW):
./create_cfw.sh PS3UPDAT.PUP CFW.PUP
- Copy and rename CFW.PUP to a USB storage device keeping this directory structure in mind: /PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP
- Connect that USB device to your PS3 and install from Settings -> System Update
If you’re currently running 3.41 (or earlier) you can either remain there and create a specific CFW PUP for that version, or you can upgrade to a later PS3 firmware version, like 3.55 for example. It’s whatever original PUP file you use – only you cannot flash a version lower than the current version installed on your PS3. So if you’re already at 3.55, where you’re unable to downgrade, then for the moment you have no other choice but CFW (or OFW) 3.55. 3.41 on the other hand: upgrade or create CFW 3.41 and for the interim you’re still able to jailbreak and run unsigned ‘brews. See the other notes below.
- This CFW does not modify the kernel in any way, meaning all the current compiled homebrew out there will not install or run using “Install Package Files” from the XMB.
- With the above point in mind you should know this CFW does not enable piracy. No piracy, no backups – straight homebrew.
- Current PS3 homebrew and new homebrew will need to be “retail” packaged and signed; that’ll happen with fail0verflow’s tools.
- This is only the beginning. Prepare yourself for utter and absolute awesomeness.
- PSN works.
- PS1, PS2 games run in backward compatibility mode
You may need to install the CFW PUP from the PS3 Recovery Menu. To do that, follow these steps:
- Ensure the PS3UPDAT.PUP is in /PS3/UPDATE/ on your USB device.
- Power down the PS3.
- Now press and hold the power button, the system will startup and shutdown again.
- Release the power button, then press & hold power again, you’ll hear one beep followed by two consecutive beeps.
- Release power then follow the on-screen instructions. You’re now in the recovery menu.
- Connect the USB device and select “System Update.”
- Hope for the best.
Note: you can restore OFW using the above method too.
For more coverage on iHelplounge:
- Follow us on twitter
- Become a Fan on Facebook
- Subscribe to our Feed
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel