Rumors about the iPhone SE 2 has been online for a good few months. Today, there is the first video showing the successor of the current SE model.
As you can see below, the iPhone SE 2 will look very much like an old good SE model. In addition to the novelty inside, the only visual change will be glass backpacks that will allow wireless charging. The mini headphone jack will not even be removed.
Here are some specifications of the new iPhone SE:
- Chip A10 Fusion: iPhone SE 2 will use the A10 Fusion chip, the same chip that powers the iPhone 7 and the iPad of 2017. Equipped with two high performance cores and two energy efficient cores, it offers 40% more performance CPU and 50% more graphics performance than the A9 chip that powers the current iPhone SE, supporting features like the iOS 11 HEVC video codec and the new HEIF image format.
- Touch ID: iPhone SE 2 will presumably maintain the fingerprint-based Touch ID biometric system, which implies that the updated handset will not feature the iPhone X TrueDepth infrared camera for depth, vertical illumination, Face ID and Animoji.
- 4-inch display: According to home manufacturers, iPhone SE 2 will maintain the same physical dimensions as the current iPhone SE, which means it will use a four-inch LCD display.
- No headphone jack: Apple claims to have locked the 3.5mm headphone jack from the iPhone 7 for space-saving reasons and will presumably also be sacrificed on the new iPhone SE.
Wireless charging: Case makers did not say anything about wireless charging, but the report speculated that the iPhone SE 2 could have the same glass design as the iPhone 8 and iPhone X to support Qi wireless charging capabilities.
- Same design: As the TrueDepth camera is presumably missing and an OLED display panel, iPhone SE 2 should keep the Home button, as well as the squares at the top and bottom. Other items suggested models of 32 GB / 128 GB, 2 GB of RAM, metal structure and more.
When will the new iPhone SE 2 go on sale? Most likely in June, just after WWDC18. And what do you think about it?