Untethered jailbreak of iOS 6.1 was actually expected Sunday, during the Super Bowl. But Evad3rs team showed that it will be available today, possibly in the afternoon or early evening. The progress bar on the website evasi0n.com yesterday was a big part of the day at 85% and crawled during the night to the existing designation of 95%.
In a discussion on Reddit is attempted an algorithm for the displayed percentage figure out. The jailbreak is created by the newly constituted Evad3rs team, consisting @pimskeks,@planetbeing, @pod2g and @musclenerd. They have found a vulnerability which an untethered jailbreak for iOS 6.1 possible. It is the first jailbreak iOS since June last year at the end of the summer became available.
Once the jailbreak is available, you will find a detailed explanation on iHelplounge. Those interested can now also been prepared by the many discussions and FAQ to read also our jailbreak forum. Please also read our announcement here about jailbreak news of a week ago.
If Evasi0n available, it is funny to again think back to the first iPhone jailbreak, which at that time was needed for the iPhone at all outside the U.S. to use. It took in 2007 no less than 74 steps to execute. The first jailbreak in September 2007 JailbreakMe 1.0 (AppSnapp) was designed for iPhone OS 1.1.1. and Apple iOS at that time. It includes steps in which a part of the current would be off-hook in jailbreakers, such as:
34. Rename “chmod” in the iPhuc folder to “update”.
35. In iPhuc, “putfile update”, so you’re replacing /usr/sbin/update
36. “cd /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/”
37. “getfile com.apple.update.plist”
38. Open com.apple.update.plist in a text editor
Right after it says <string>/usr/sbin/update</string> add:
39. Save the file. Upload the modified version with “putfilecom.apple.update.plist”
40. Also, “putfile au.asn.ucc.matt.dropbear.plist”
41. Reboot the iPod twice. The first reboot should set the required permissions. The second should start the ssh server (since proper permissions are now set). And close iPhuc.