These directions will convey the steps wanted to replace and jailbreak iPhone four and iPhone 3GS on iOS 5.zero.1 by the use of customized firmware(retaining the baseband). The method is supposed that can assist you replace from a earlier firmware, to iOS 5.zero.1, however nonetheless preserve your telephone at which may also be unlocked later. Please be aware that this doesn’t mechanically make your cellphone unlockable. It could have needed to be already unlockable sooner than doing these steps.
Replace to the most recent model of iTunes
Mac – iTunes Menu > Test for Updates
Win – iTunes Assist Menu > Take a look at for Updates
Sync your iDevice with iTunes, this may be sure you have an up to the moment backup of your iPhone in iTunes.
Obtain Redsn0w zero.9.10b3 for Mac
Download Redsn0w 0.9.10b3 for Windows
Upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 with redsnow
1) Launch redsn0w – click Extras
2) Select Custom IPSW
3) Browse and select the stock standard iOS IPSW 5 that was downloaded from Apple – and let redsn0w make the custom firmware, – this will take a little while… in this example the 3GS iPhone standard iOS file was selected “iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw”
4) A Custom IPSW is then created by redsn0w created with a prefix of “NO_BB…..” which is short for no baseband, the full file name for 3GS iPhone is named ‘NO_BB_OLDROM_iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw’
5) Connect the iPhone to the the computer and in redsn0w – Enter Pwned DFU Mode
6) Follow the Steps in the redsn0w app to get the iphone into Pwned DFU Mode:
7) Once the screen is black – time to do the custom restore
8 ) Launch iTunes and option (Mac) /shift (Win) click on restore and browse to and select the custom IPSW created which starts with “NO_BB_” make sure this is the one you restore to.
Shift/Option click restore to restore iphone from custom IPSW
iTunes extracts the software and preps the iphone for restore, verifies the restore, restores the firmware and then restarts the iphone.
Voila!, you are on iOS5.0.1
9) Now in iTunes you can restore all your data from the last iTunes backup as prompted – just have to remember that password!
After the restore, iTunes will then sync all of the Apps, Music, Photos etc.
To Jailbreak and Unlock the iOS device
To jailbreak and install Cydia and Ultrasn0w launch redsn0w again and this time the application needs to work with the stock standard official iOS firmware initially downloaded from the links above in this instance with the iPhone 3GS the firmware is ‘iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw’
1) launch redsnow and click on ‘Extras‘
2) Select IPSW and browse to your downloaded stock iOS – in this case it is – iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw
3) For the iPhone 3GS redsnow needs to know if it is an old or new bootrom – see other notes on the post if you are not sure on what bootrom version.
4) IPSW verification made from redsn0w
5) Now time to Jailbreak
6) Click on Install Cydia
7) You then have to enter the PwnedDFU mode again, so follow the onscreen instructions
8 ) After it enters DFU
You should see a hardrive icon followed by a bunch of scrolling code and then running pineapples – and its all happy days.
9) After rebooting, launch Cydia on the iPhone, the app will ask you what type of user you are and then download the lastest packages and upgrade when prompted, then tap the Cydia Search icon (bottom right) and tap in ultrasn0w, Cydia finds the package and then install ultrasn0w 1.2.5 and reboot the iPhone this will complete the jailbreak and unlock the device.
If you still have questions regarding the Beginner’s Guide to Preserve the iPhone Baseband While Updating to iOS 5.0.1 With Redsnow 0.9.10b3, you can either leave us a comment or on our Facebook page, Follow us on twitter, add us on your Google+ circle to Keep up to date