A lot of people have been reporting issues with jailbreaking using the new b
lackra1n tool by George, specially iPod Touch 3G owners. Some of these issues have to do with the fact that this is a tethered jailbreak for iPod Touch 3G so far. This means that to boot your iPod Touch 3G, it must be plugged into your computer and you must run blackra1n again. For those stuck at a white screen or being unable to boot your device, here are a few important pointers to keep in mind during the process:
- Make sure you’ve updated to 3.1.2. This jailbreak is not for 3.0 or 3.1.
- Download the purplera1n tool to your desktop. Some users have reported issues of the application crashing or having issues with rights on Vista or 7.
This should fix those issues. For more convenience. run it as an administrator.
- Make sure no other software is running when you jailbreak to avoid interference.
- If your device doesn’t boot for a long time, hold down the power and home buttons and restart it. If it tells you to connect to iTunes, something must have gone wrong and you might have to restart the process. I know this is annoying, but it has worked for some people after some tries. It does work.
- You won’t lose your data by jailbreaking. Only a fresh firmware restore could mean that your apps might go away, but they can be sy
nced back using iTunes.
- If you have a white screen turn off the device by holding the power and home buttons for 10 seconds and boot it again.
- If iTunes keeps popping up, use CTRL + ALT + DELETE to go to the task manager and kill all iTunes processes which includes iTunesHelper.exe. This can cause interference with the process too.
- Strangely, doing the process on different computers has also worked for some people.
In the end, keep in mind that blackra1n really works. I tried it on my iPod Touch 2G 8GB, and it worked in the first try. It only got stuck when running Cydia for the first time. I had to reboot using the Power + Home buttons trick, but after that it has been really smooth.