Apple has updated its mobile firmware to iOS version 4.0.2. The Dev-Team has announced that its software RedSn0wfor Windows and Mac OS X was able to jailbreak the new version. Here’s a guide to the jailbeak the iPhone 3G and the iPod Touch 2G (Model No-MC)
The steps are the same on Mac OS X and Windows.
1. Connect iPhone to your computer via the USB cable.
2. Start Redsn0w 0.9.5 beta 5-5. Click on Browse and select iOS 4.0 on your desktop (tell Redsn0w iOS 4.0 only and not iOS 4.0.2 even if you’re running iOS 4.0.2), then click Next.
3. Select “Install Cydia” and click “Next”.
4. An automated process will start. it will download and patch the kernel.
5. Put your device in DFU mode in order to perform the jailbreak. (DFU mode: simultaneously press the HOME button and the POWER for exactly 10 seconds, then release the power button only and keep pressing the HOME button until iTunes recognizes a new device in recovery mode.)
6. When the iPhone will work again, the Cydia icon will be white and the application does not contain any source. Add the source: apt.saurik.com/cydia-3.7 without paying attention to errors.When restart Cydia, logo respawn and all the usual sources.
- Download iOS 4.0 (yes this is version 4.0) for iPhone 3G
- Download iTunes 9.2.1
- Have an iPhone 3G or iPod Touch 2G (not Mc) with iOS installed 4.0.2 above. Also keep iOS 4.0.2 on your desktop.
- Download Redsn0w 5-5 0.9.5 beta Windows.
- Download Redsn0w 5-5 0.9.5 beta for Mac OS X