When you switch from a Windows PC to a Mac, you can see it as a fresh start. However, you probably because of all your important files such as Word documents, movies, photos, etc. store. Can you just transfer without Consequences and what is the best way?
Transfer via CD or DVD
You only have a CD or DVD burner available and you do not need tones of gigabytes of data transfer, then moving the files via CD or DVD a good option. If your hard disk is almost full, it does not mean that you need all these files to transfer. Remember: the Mac runs natively no PC software and vice versa. It therefore makes no sense for them to copy installed programs.Is your collection of files (such as music, movies, photos and documents) from many gigabytes, you can transfer via CD or DVD a time consuming task. The advantage is that you immediately back up all your files.
Transfer Over the Network
If you have a home network with Mac and Windows PCs, it is possible that you want to transfer files between the two operating systems. Although both systems quite different, it is fortunately possible to share files between Mac OS X and Windows. All you have to do is support for Samba to enable the OS X user account. In this tutorial, we explain exactly how to do this.
Samba on Mac OS X
Samba (SMB) operate can also be discovered within the “Share” menu, click on the Apple brand on the highest left and make a selection “Gadget Preferences” -> “Share“. The usage of Samba, that you may share recordsdata with Home windows by way of a wired or wi-fi community.
- Let’s begin via putting in place Samba to your Mac
- Open “Gadget Preferences” and click on on “Share”.
- Activate “File Sharing” and click on “Choices ..”.
- Now test the choice “Share recordsdata and folders the usage of SMB (Home windows).
- Now make a selection which consumer you need to share information, when choosing an account, you even have your password.
- After getting into, click on “Performed”.
Now we Samba (SMB) have dependent we will from a Home windows laptop to hook up with the Mac.
Connect with your Mac from a Home windows PC
- Reopen the “Share” menu within the “Machine Preferences” menu and be aware the IP handle of your Mac. Click on “File Sharing” and word the handle bit in the back of “afp :/ /” state. As an instance, 192.168.1.111.
- Now begin your Home windows laptop and click on on the Begin button after which “Run” or use the shortcut “Keep watch over + R”.
- Now enter the IP tackle within the following structure: “ 192.168.1.111” and click on “OK”.
- Now use your OS X username and password to get entry to the shared information out of your Mac to view.
When you numerous. DS_Store information will seem, then you could enter the next command within the OS X Terminal to cover them:
- defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores proper
Do you need to indicate. DS_Store information on once more then use the next command:
- defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores false