Samsung to produce 80% of iPhone 12 OLED screens

0

Samsung should continue to nearly make 80% of OLED displays that will be used on the iPhone 12 range, regardless of whether Apple is trying to diversify the suppliers of the components to be used in its products.

According to DigiTimes, 80% of the total orders of the OLED panels of the next iPhones will be managed by Samsung, with LG and BOE sharing the remaining 20%.

Samsung was the exclusive supplier of the OLED displays for the iPhone X of 2017, while the following year LG also joined the Apple supply chain. In 2020, the two companies will be joined by the Chinese BOE which will take care of producing a small part of the OLED screens for the iPhone 12.

These are Apple’s first steps towards diversifying the supply of OLED panels, of which Samsung is the undisputed market leader. In 2020, the South Korean company will continue to maintain most orders, with a situation that could radically change within two years.

Of the four new iPhones arriving this year, rumors indicate that Samsung will provide displays for three models: the 5.4-inch entry-level model and the 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch “iPhone 12‌ Pro” models. The fourth new model, a 6.1-inch iPhone 12 with specifications similar to entry-level, will have OLED screens produced by LG and BOE.

Meanwhile, analysts report that iPhone sales forecasts remain unchanged at 35 million units in the June quarter, down 13% from the same period a year ago. The reason is linked to the world health system since other manufacturers have also recorded similar results. As for the recovery, at the moment it is still difficult to understand if the economic crisis will also interfere with the sales of the iPhone 12, but in the meantime, Apple has increased the production of the iPhone SE in great demand especially in emerging markets.

Follow us on Twitter, subscribe to our Facebook Page, find us on LinkedIn